When it comes to home renovations, anything foundation related is perhaps the most important reno you can do. The foundation is what makes all other aspects of the home fall into place, and can make or break any other work you put into your home. Thanks to that fundamental law known as gravity, a poor base to the home can lead to a chain reaction of problems from the floors, to the walls, to the roof.
Foundations often deteriorate as a result of leaks or moisture getting through. Without a proper foundation, the structure of the home isn’t held together properly. If the structure is stable, it can withstand natural forces such as earthquakes or more common things like settling, to a higher degree. Waterproofing your foundation is therefore something every homeowner should consider. Whether you own an older home or not, basement waterproofing is often not done properly during the construction process, so it is always a service you should consider.
Foundations may leak for a number of reasons:
- A congested weeping tile system due to a blockage of debris, soils or tree roots
- Separation of blocks
- Voids where the foundation and footing meet
When waterproofing a basement foundation, the materials used should be of the best quality, and a lifetime warranty is usually the best way to go. There’s no use paying for a waterproofing job that’s not going to last, so even though it can be hard to find a company that offers a lifetime warranty, it’s worth the search.
If you’re looking for a waterproofing service, here are some specific things to make sure they offer:
- They contact utilities before excavating
- They begin a survey stake out
- The foundation wall is washed down to allow a proper bond for the concrete parge
- Cracks in the foundation are compacted with hydraulic cement
- The wall is given a layer of concrete parging
- The soil is backfilled and compacted to prevent settlement
- The debris is removed
- The surface material is reinstalled
Though many people are tempted to ignore a crack in a foundation, its stability is crucial. Basement waterproofing is necessary to prevent this cracking and ensure stability. There are many companies you can turn to regardless of where you live, but it’s important to keep in mind what specific services you need and ensure the company offers them for a good price.